Sweet Potato & Black Bean "Empahabas"
Servings 12Pieces Our take on the Empanada, a classic Latin-American savory turnover, is a great finger food for parties. You can prepare the filling up to a day in advance.
- 2medium sweet potatoes (or leftover cooked ones work well)
- 1tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 yellow onion (about 3/4 cup chopped)
- 1cup cooked black beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 1/2tsp. salt
- 1/2tsp. garam masala
- 1 - 2tbsp. Haba Haba Hot Sauce (or more to taste!)
- 2tbsp. fresh cilantro chopped
- 1package store-bought roll-out pie crusts (2 crusts) (or your favorite pie crust recipe)
- 1 egg beaten
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 450F. Wash and prick sweet potatoes with a fork. Roast on a baking sheet for 45 minutes or until soft. When cool enough to handle remove skins and mash.
- Heat oil over medium/high. Saute onion and garlic until softened and beginning to brown, about 4 min.
- Combine sweet potatoes, onion mixture, black beans, salt, garam masala, Haba Haba, and cilantro to make filling. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Roll out crust to 1/8 in thick and cut into 4 inch circles (a bowl or lid can be used as a cutter). Place about 1 ½ Tbsp of the filling in the center of each. Moisten outer edge of the circle with egg and fold into a semi-circle. Seal by crimping open edge with the tines of a fork. Repeat with remaining dough/filling.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 for 17-20 minutes until golden. Serve with sour cream for dipping or freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy!